After months of quarantine in the United States, travel lovers are free of COVID-19 but many are getting a serious case of cabin fever. Fortunately, international travel is slowly opening up and the lure of adventure is tempting globe trotters to travel again. But where to go? One of the most convenient – and safest – ways to travel is on a river cruise. AMAWaterways leads the way with safe river cruising
According to Kristin Karst of AmaWaterways, safety is paramount. She says, “When it comes to trust in safeguarding the health of our guests, we are in the unique position of being the only US-based river cruise ship company operating in Europe this summer. Sailing AmaKristina in Germany for the local market has allowed us to practice and fine-tune all our enhanced health and safety protocols. We know our North American guests are very eager to get back out and discover the world. Our captains and crews are ready to welcome you on board with open arms once all the conditions are right.”
Here are some of the measures AmaWaterways is taking to protect guests on board and ashore:
- Before boarding, guests must complete an online health and contact screening questionnaire.
- At embarkation, guests’ temperatures will be taken with no-contact infrared thermometers. If the guest requires further testing, shoreside medical treatment centers are within close proximity.
- The crew will sanitize guests’ luggage handles before delivery to the stateroom.
On Board Protection
- Protocols continue to change. However, at this time, guests must wear face coverings when moving through public spaces.
- There is ample hand sanitizer available throughout the ship. Frequent use is required by all guests and crew.
- The crew has implemented enhanced cleaning and disinfecting measures throughout the ship.
- State-of-the-art fan coil air conditioning units are in place. There is no recirculating of air onboard the ships.
- A limited number of guests allowed onboard. No non-essential visitors.
- Enhanced safety and social distancing throughout the dining room.
- The crew thoroughly sanitizes fitness mats and equipment after each use.
Safety Exploring Ashore
- Personal portable Quietvox commentary systems will allow you to hear guides while social distancing.
- Shore excursions in small groups. Guests must use hand sanitizers when getting on and off coaches.
Safe Crew Protocols
- Crew must complete pre-boarding medical tests and isolation periods, in-depth health and safety training. They must use face coverings and practice social distancing.
- All crew members are trained on enhanced operating protocols. Each ship has its own Public Health Officer overseeing all aspects of health and sanitation for guests and crew.
- Crew health will be monitored for potential symptoms. Temperatures checked two times a day.
- The crew will wear face coverings during working hours and continue to respect social distancing in their living quarters.
The decision of when it is safe for you, personally, to travel, is based on many factors. However, AmaWaterways safe river cruising is one of the best options available today.